It is week 2 of National Cyber Security Awareness Month (hence the abundant #NCSAM 's sprinkled throughout our social posts this month) and we've rounded up 5 great tips on the topic of On The Go Security for you from StopThinkConnect.org. Here's the lowdown:
1. Check your WiFi and Bluetooth settings to be sure you connect manually to networks you trust. Automatically connecting to Wi‐Fi can leave you vulnerable to hackers and others. More mobile safety tips here.
2. Secure your devices with a passcode or passphrase to protect your personal information. 2 Factor Authentication, if available, is never a bad idea.
3. Mobile applications, or apps, are a big part of the on‐the‐go experience. OnGuard Online’s “Understanding Mobile Apps” is a great way to understand issues like privacy,advertising, security and use by children.
4. Think before you app – understand what information, like location and social network accounts, the app would access and share before you download it.
5. Make passwords long, strong and unique (different for each account). More on securing accounts from hackers here.