WordPress used to be viewed predominantly as a blogging platform. But it has expanded into one of the most popular website publishing tools on the Internet. Tech Crunch recently reported that about one fifth of new domains in the U.S. are powered by WordPress. And it may surprise you to learn that one of the most popular publishers in the world uses WordPress.
Here are 7 things you should know about WordPress:
- WordPress offers dynamic page generation. This means no more rebuilding all your pages every time you update your website! Updating your site’s content and design is easy and quick, and the required server storage space usage is nominal.
- You can create a free subdomain in seconds. You can register at WordPress.com to receive a free website (e.g. www.yourname.wordpress.org). This is great if you don’t have the cash to invest on external hosting and domain services.
- WordPress also has what they call their ‘famous 5-minute install’, which makes it easy to install WordPress if you already have a domain and a hosting service. What’s more, no coding expertise needed.
- If you do own your own domain there are some minimum requirements to run WordPress. You have to be sure you have the correct and compliant versions of PHP and MySQL. This will ensure that you can receive appropriate WordPress support if required.
- There are millions of great looking templates (known as “themes”) available from various sources on the Internet. Many are free, some are not. In either case, finding the right design for your website is easy and quick.
- WordPress offers centralized management for all your pages, posts, multimedia assets, and reader comments. It’s also very simple to manage users and user profiles.
- WordPress has many plugins developed by users that make e-commerce simple. You can advertise, review, and even sell products using these without having to look for additional add-ons.