Some interesting facts about HIPAA:
- HIPAA stands for “The Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act” enacted in 1996.
- The average fine for a HIPAA violation is $1,500,000.
- Some PHI identifiers you may not have thought of include: vehicle identifiers, IP address, web URLs.
- Your Protected Health Information (PHI) is protected for FIFTY YEARS after you die!
- If you’re doing a SECURITY RISK ASSESSMENT you are only addressing 1/3 of 1 rule!
- 94% of healthcare organizations FAIL their audit because they did not have an effective compliance program.
- Current enforcement rate for healthcare is up 400%.
- A MINOR breach affects fewer than 500 individuals; a MEANINGFUL breach affects more than 500 individuals. All meaningful breaches reported to HHS are posted on the Wall of Shame.