Smart phones are great. We can be reached anywhere, anytime. But they also open us up to scams from unwanted callers. Here are a few things you can do to avoid unwanted calls.
- Turn on Call Blocking on your smart phone – Most mobile carriers now offer call blocking apps and services, often at no cost to you.
- Register for the DO NOT CALL List – Visit https://www.donotcall.gov to register.
- Don’t answer calls from unknown numbers – And if you do accidentally answer, don’t press any buttons or answer any questions, as this will verify your number to the scammer.
- Make sure your voicemail has a password – Some voicemail services allow access if you call in from your own number; a hacker could spoof your number to gain access if you don’t set a password.
- Don’t give out personal information – Scammers really want your personal information (PII) such as usernames/passwords, social security numbers, birth date, credit card numbers, or other information like your mother’s maiden name.
Want to learn more? Check out this informative guide from the FCC.